• 100 Days of Good Karma: Day 13 (Dress Shopping)

The dress.

The dress.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Today I went dress shopping.  Justin and I are having family photos taken on Saturday.  We haven’t had pictures taken as a family for a few years and now seems like as good a time as any.

A friend of mine went with me.  Between her two kids and my two kids we were quite the circus at the store.

It’s been a long time since I had issues with my body.  After having my second child I accepted that I will never be a size 2, and I’m okay with that.

My body has done amazing things.  It’s produced my two favorite people in the world, gotten me through 5k’s, 10k’s, one half marathon and most of a training program for a full marathon before I abused it to much and injured myself before the race.

I eat (pretty) well and exercise on a regular basis. I hate strength training, but I do it because it keeps me active and injury free.  I’m no Olympian, but I’m athletic enough that I can run and play outside with my kids and feel comfortable in my clothes.

Until today.

It’s true nothing has physically changed for me yet, but walking through the store I felt like I had a giant red ‘C’ hanging over my head.  I have no idea what my body will look like in six months and suddenly clothes shopping produced an anxiety I’ve never experienced before.

I rejected every dress my friend picked out because they were all form fitting or showed cleavage.  Dresses that I wouldn’t have batted an eyelash at two weeks ago now made me want to cry and throw up and scream all at the same time.

After each rejection, Wendy gently pulled me of the ceiling and offered something new.

We discovered I was okay with short skirts as long as it had a high neckline.  Wendy found a short boat neck dress that showed off my legs and found a stunning pair of shoes to go with it.  Wendy declared it my ‘date night outfit from now on’ and I’m actually excited to wear it on Saturday.

Today’s silver lining:  Friends who pull you off the ceiling.  They are good people to keep around.

So touching, Meghan. I’ve known you’re a great writer, but wow. I’m so happy to know that you have wonderful real-life friends all around you. Thinking about you from eastern Quebec

2. BEAVO says:

I know nothing about shopping for women’s clothing (just ask Ann), but that looks like a nice dress. Hope you enjoy wearing it and that the pictures go well. Even though it doesn’t feel like it right now, you have a lot you can smile about.

BEAVO

3. Thuan says:

Wendy has such good tastes! I love the dress and the shoes. You should think about listening to her a little more in picking out outfits. That is absolutely one of many reasons that you can smile about. Great friend with good taste!
    I do have a hard time finding clothes! Dress is almost hopeless! Jamie start doing the critique most of my outfits. Something tells me that I should take it easy on her daily chores and school, and piano, …!
    Also, you reminded me of my old days shopping with friends and kids! We were usually a very sad bunch, and my Megan (without an h), came home frowning! Poor child!! She still remembered, yeah, scarred for life!

4. Debbie says:

Meghan, you will look beautiful, no matter what you wear. You are just a beautiful person, inside and out. I read what you write every day and you truly amaze me. We are a very lucky family to have you in it and my son is an exceptionally lucky man. (I can’t wait to get a new picture). I love you!

Thank you, Debbie. I love you, too. From one end of the family to the other, I have the best set of in-laws a person could ask for. ~Meghan

5. Wendy says:

Do you want to make me cry?!! You will rock that dress and those shoes were amazing as you pranced over to the mirror!! I am truly lucky to have met you. Love ya girl!!!

Dear Gorgeous Cousin,

You would look fabulous in a burlap sack. My Silver Lining….excited to see your family picture. xoxox

7. […] the way to have family pictures taken we discovered that my black Labrador, Tilley, hates my shoes.  As soon as I put them on […]