• 100 Days of Good Karma: Day 18 (Test Day)

Strong

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Test day had it’s highs and lows.

The PET scan wasn’t too bad though twenty two minutes seems a lot longer when you’re inside a tube.  Unfortunately, no super powers have emerged yet, but I still have high hopes to wake up one day this week able to fly.

High: After the PET scan I ate a huge breakfast full of carbohydrates and caffeine, then shopped at Buc-ee’s with my mother-in-law until we had to go to the next appointment.

(If you’re reading this from outside Texas, you may not understand the pure joy derived from a trip to a Buc-ee’s.  Let’s just say any truck stop whose marketing foundation is built on clean restrooms is worth visiting.  You can read more about it here.  And if you come visit me, I’ll introduce you to Beaver Nuggets.)

The mammogram and the ultra sound weren’t what I would call ‘fun’ but were totally doable.

I’m not sure how the mammogram techs do it, but somehow they keep a straight face while saying, “Okay, hold your breath.”

Um, I’m trapped in place by a machine that mashes my boob pancake flat and you think I’m still breathing?

That’s so cute.

Low: Biopsies suck.  If I had a meaner, nastier, more insulting word than ‘suck’ I’d use it, but my vocabulary is limited until optimum caffeine levels have been achieved.  So ‘suck’ will have to do.

I will offer some advice.

If  you ever find yourself in a position of hanging a sensitive body part through a hole in a table where it is then prodded, mashed by x-ray machines, and injected with unseen needles while medical equipment hums and clicks in the background, please:

Accept the Valium they offer.

Ask for two.

Today’s silver lining:  My mother-in-law, for her unwavering love and support.  She held my hand and wiped my tears even while I was a snotty, sopping mess.  Thank you, Debbie.  I love you.

Now I wait for results.

I do have a Silver Lining – your mother-in-law, Debbie! I have never met a more kinder, loving person in my life thank you for being there for my daughter.

So seriously, who designed those breast biopsy tables? And why doesn’t someone say, “Um, women are not cows to be attended to by a man sitting on a stool”? Given the many ways childbearing has been reconceived so it’s more humane for women and not just organized around the doctor’s needs, I’m shocked breast cancer diagnosis remains so dehumanizing. At my last breast biopsy the hole to hang my breast down was huge–like, the size of a large dinner plate. I was, like, “how is this a good design in any way!?!”

Ok, rant over. The waiting is awful, obviously, but please know that you’ve got a lot of people waiting with you…

Silver Lining — clean restrooms in public places. As I approach five weeks on the road, I can say it’s a rare and beautiful thing.

Hugs!
    Pam

Thank you, Pam! And clean public bathrooms ARE a rare and beautiful thing! If you ever find yourself in Texas, you will have to let me know and I will introduce you to public bathroom heaven. 🙂

3. Jeannie says:

You are more than blessed!;). Keep your head up, Meghan and know that we are all praying for you!!!;)

4. Wendy says:

Today was simply amazing. This afternoon was my favorite part of my day….and that’s saying a lot since I did find that bib earlier today. Lol!

Another high-five to Debbie. Awesome lady. Megs, you’ve got some great family on your side!

Yes I do. And I am more grateful to all of them for the support they have shown me than I could ever express.

6. Rene says:

Buc-ees are by far the best rest stop on any trip through Texas. And they have some pretty unique stuff for sale.:-) Not to mention the Dr Pepper Icees!

We are praying for you Meghan.
    Rene

7. Meghan, I about died today when I couldn’t find some button I had to click in a program, so I had to call another co-worker to ask what the deal was. She asked if I scrolled down… (smacks palm to forehead) I about died laughing my butt off. The silver lining was that my co-worker laughed with me and said she’s had those days.

8. […] know after all the tests were over on Tuesday, I was exhausted beyond words.  That exhaustion carried into the next […]

9. […] will be my second PET scan.  The first PET scan (way back on Day 18) determined if the cancer had metastasized to any other organs in my body.  This PET scan is to […]