• 100 Days of Good Karma: Day 5 (Taking My Shirt Off for Strangers)

shirt off

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Day 5 of 100 Days of Good Karma.

I told my mom today, “I’m getting tired of taking my shirt off for strangers. ”

Mom says, “They could at least throw some dollar bills at you.”

I say, “That’s just it. I’m paying them.”

Just a few hours later I met with an oncologist.  Yet another stranger who got to see me topless at my expense.  And I’m starting to dream about those fashionable gowns. Nurse-voices tell me in my sleep, “open to the front!”

Today’s appointment was extremely informative. I could go into a frenzy of typing up the notes I took, but they all boil down to this:  Some good news (hormone tests came back positive, which points to a less aggressive cancer), but lots of tests still pending (more ‘aggression’ tests) and no clear going forward path just yet.

I know there will be chemo (yay for unavoidable hair loss!), and there will be surgery.  The approach to chemo and the extent of the surgery is still to be determined.

More tests will be run.  I have to have genetic testing done for the breast cancer gene, and the doctors have to determine if the cancer has gone anywhere else in my body.

There’s a lot of hurry up and wait.

Today’s silver lining: Living in the Houston area gives me access to the best care possible.  I have appointments with MD Anderson for second opinions in the coming week.

Maybe they’ll even throw some ones at me.

1. Michale Bauer says:

Meghan, today you are my silver lining … your post made me laugh and think of Matthew McConaughey, Channing Tatum and Joe Manganiello in Magic Mike.

I had lunch with Chrystal yesterday and learned of your breast cancer diagnosis. I was shocked! You can kick this!!! I love that you’re doing 100DaysOfGoodKarma and finding a silver lining each day. May you find many, many silver linings each day.

I’m not posting my silver linings I am thinking of one each day! One of my silver lingings from this day forward is my belief in God and having faith that he will make the right choices for me and my family! This keeps me going everyday of my life!

3. Rene says:

My Silver Lining? …
    “Some good news (hormone tests came back positive, which points to a less aggressive cancer)” 🙂 <3

I’m envisioning a really awesome music video spoof with someone pole dancing on the IV stand while hunky doctors shove dollar bills down the hospital gown. It will be a You Tube sensation!

Really glad the first tests are coming back with hopeful news.

5. Annette Foster says:

I agree with Rene, my silver lining today is your statement of “some good news”. Love ya!!!

6. Jeannie says:

That is great news, Meghan! I’m like Leslie…I’m not always on FB anymore so posting is hit and miss, but I’m definitely thinking more and more about my silver linings! In the craziness of life with my kids, which we’ve talked about more than once, I am seeing more silver linings! So many times I use to get so aggravated…now, I’m beginning to see a whole lot more positive! So, thank YOU!!! We love you!!!;)

Jeannie, I understand how Facebook can become a total time-suck. The good news is you don’t have to be on Facebook to see this page. You can just go straight to it from any browser. Also, you can sign up for the posts to go straight to your inbox if you want. If you look up at the top right of the home page, you should see a Subscribe Via Email box. Enter your email address and click Subscribe. You’ll receive an email confirming that you do indeed want to subscribe to my blog posts (you’ll have to click the link in the email). And, Ta Da! You’ll automatically receive my new posts in your inbox. No Facebook needed. 🙂

7. Christi says:

Not all chemo treatment means hair loss!! My mentor teacher went weekly all last semester and kept every hair!

She recently underwent a stem cell transplant, which has been the ONLY time she’s even let on that she felt bad. She has to spend 100 days rebuilding her immune system before she can be around all the kiddos again.

Not knowing what to expect yet would drive anyone nuts, so inspirational reading your blog!