• 100 Days of Good Karma: Day 6 (Kids Don’t Wallow)

energy

Thursday, July 17, 2014

I sat curled in a ball on the couch trying to read a book while the kids fought over what seemed like the zillionth little thing today.

Bed springs creaked from the other room. Hannah yelled, “Connor, quit jumping on my bed!”

“But it’s bouncy!”

Creak. Creak. Creak.

“Connor I don’t want you jumping on my bed for three reasons.” From my corner of the couch I imagined her ticking the points off on her fingers. “One, you’ll jump on my stuffed animals. Two, you could land on my American Girl Doll. Three, you could land on my American Girl Doll and break her.”

Creak. Creak. Creak.

“Connor, you’re not listening!”

Connor ran into the living room where I was massaging my temples with my fingertips.

“Mommy, I wish there was something bouncy to jump on.  Hannah won’t let me jump on her bed.”

I knew they needed to get out of the house, but I didn’t want to go anywhere. It was raining. I had laundry to do. I wanted to read my book.

And, oh yeah, I have cancer.

All of these thoughts (especially the last one) flew through my head while Connor rolled around on the floor like a Labrador in need of a brisk two-mile run.

“There’s nothing to do!”

And suddenly, today’s silver lining struck me.

Silver Lining: kids don’t wallow.

They might whine and sulk and fight.

But they don’t wallow.

I sighed and mentally stepped into my mommy panties. “You want to go to the trampoline park?”

The answer was a resounding ‘yes!’

So that’s what we did. We went to the trampoline park.  It is amazing how jumping on trampolines for an hour can improve your mood.

Later Hannah looked at me over frozen yogurt and, completely unprompted, said, “Thank you, Mommy.”

I told her she was very welcome.  Really, I should have been thanking her.  Not a bit of this last week has been easy.  Not one single, solitary moment.  I didn’t want to admit it, but I was so deep in my own self pity I forgot to have fun.

But kids don’t wallow.  They don’t have time for that.

So I don’t either.

1. Jeannie says:

My silver lining today is the fact that I can read this and relate exactly!;). I saw something today that said:

Pick two:
    1. Clean house
    2. Happy kids
    3. Your sanity

We have to let go sometimes…even if it’s hard!;). Our kids are so worth it!;)

Yup. I can have 1 and 3, or I can have 2 and 3. I can’t seem to have all three, ever. But sometimes a clean house isn’t the important part. Unless your husband is out of underwear. Then, maybe laundry should be bumped higher on the priority list. 🙂

When we were up at my parents’ house for Fourth of July, we decided to try out the new bounce house in Medford. The kids were so entertained that I got to read for most of the time. I hope you got to get some reading in after you took your kids there.

Wish I lived closer, Meg.

Aw, I wish you were closer, too! I did get to read later and it was much more fun because I wasn’t using it to cover my self pity. Sometimes the best medicine is just to go play. 🙂

3. Leah Senona says:

Meghan, my silver lining today is your posts. Seriously. Your new posts show up in my inbox and I know I’m going to get a reminder to notice the world, to look for the good, and to be honest and authentic even in the oh-shit moments. I needed the reminder to look for the light today. Thank you. I’ve decided to share your 100 Days of Good Karma posts on my Parrot & Ox Facebook page because the world needs more good and you’re great at finding it.

Leah, thank you so much for your kind words, and thank you for helping to get the word out. Some days finding the silver lining is easy. Other days I have to dig through a mountain of crap to find the one thing I’m grateful for. But that something is always there. I’m honored that I could be that for someone else. 🙂

4. Shannon says:

Awwwwwe, I just live today’s silver lining!!!

5. Thank you for reminding me not to forget to have fun even when I’m not feeling it 🙂

Ok……my silver lining is your story making me cry. As I am not physical there with you, I can still have a glimpse inside your day through your writing (which you are so talented!!!). Love ya Cousin!