• 100 Days of Good Karma: Day 51 (Shedding Like a Dog)

dog

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Hair loss is happening much faster now.  I’m shedding like my dog in August.

It doesn’t hurt, but my scalp is really tender and itchy.  I can’t run my fingers through my hair without getting a handful.

At the beginning of chemotherapy I thought this meant hair loss.

August 9, 2014

August 9, 2014

I was wrong.

This is what real hair loss looks like.

August 31, 2014 (before)

August 31, 2014 (before brushing)

August 31, 2014 (after brushing)

August 31, 2014 (after brushing)

This is what came out between 6pm Friday night and 11am Sunday morning.

August 29, 2014 - August 31, 2014

August 29, 2014 – August 31, 2014

A friend of mine came over and cleaned the drains to my bathtub last week.  She must really love me because she hates hair.  I could hear her gagging in the bathroom from where I stood in the kitchen.

(If you listen you can probably hear her gagging just reading this post.)

She may never set foot in my house again after she reads this.

Today’s silver lining:  That pink wig will be put to use in the near future.

1. Veronica Loftis says:

I can hear the gagging! Can you hear me giggling at her gagging? 😉

I can’t imagine how you must feel seeing that every time you brush your hair or even touch it! We ladies are so attached to our hair as it such a part of our identity. I know you are very strong and I love how you are able to keep writing through all of this.

okay, wow. That is quite a hairball.

Stupid cancer.

Pretty in pink lovies!!!

5. Wendy says:

I will always step foot in your house and clean your drains…..even if I’m gagging the whole time. 😉 You are going to rock that pink wig!

6. Erica says:

I think you worried about this day, the day your brush would start filling up. Well now that it’s begun I hope it’s not near as scary as you imagined it, and I hope you get through it quickly and find the silver lining.
    Ya know, it is sorta stalkerish how much I think about you lately. I am a fan of your writing. When this is all said and done, I would like an autographed photo of you in that pink wig.
    I’m up late if you can’t sleep tomorrow.

7. karen murphy says:

I’m sorry sweetie. But, for every hair follicle it kills, it kills Ca cells! Every hair you clean out tell yourself, smile, knowing that is KILLING the cancer cells also. Jump up and down, do the happy dance. Then if needed, go to the bathroom and cry. Will any of the hats work for u? Thinking of u everyday, SUPERWOMAN

How about I start with a smile for each hair lost and work my way up to a happy dance?

Yes, the hats are perfect. Thank you for making them. It was too kind of you.

I love you, Meghan

8. Auntie Pat says:

I love you whatever way you are. You are an inspiration to me. When I have an ache or pain I think of what you are going through and suck it up and go on. LOVE YA

Maybe I should rock a pink wig too! xoxox

10. […] been pulling my hair out in clumps for the better part of a week.  Having mass amounts of hair come away in my fingers is, to say […]