• 100 Days of Good Karma: Day 54 (A Photo Essay: Hair, You’re Fired)

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

I’ve been pulling my hair out in clumps for the better part of a week.  Having mass amounts of hair come away in my fingers is, to say the least, stressful and humiliating.

I couldn’t stand it anymore.

So I invited some friends over and we fired what remained of my hair before it could quit on me.

Here we go.

Here we go.

Remember to breathe.

Remember to breathe.

Remember this is temporary.

Remember this is temporary.

Remember that it's just hair.

Remember that it’s just hair.

Remember this too shall pass.

Remember this too shall pass.

The pink one.

The pink one.

The brown one.

The brown one.

And just me.

And just me.

Today’s silver lining:  There are a lot of things about having cancer that I can’t control.  This, though… This was my choice.

Thank you for sharing my journey.

1. Lori Carreon says:

You’re gorgeous, with or without it!

2. Brenda Birdow says:

Just gorgeous still–and always–my dear – – whether you’re pink, brown or YOU !! As always you are Fighting Like a Girl !!

3. Kyla Murphy says:

Hey cuz, don’t forget the most important thing is with hair or without hair you are a beautiful strong loving mother, wife, daughter, friend, aunt, cousin, and in the long future a awesome grandma! I love you and stay strong!

I love you very much. I thought that I would be strong for you during this but I’m glad I wasn’t there. You are pretty and it’s the person within that counts. Before I show this to dad I have to get it together. He won’t be home until around noon. Then he will sleep 3/4 of the day. Now Tripper will cut his hair. I love you pink, brown, green or rainbow. What did the kids have to say about this.? Lubba lubba you, Mom

I can’t watch this photo essay without both laughing and crying.

Here’s to the next crop of employees (hair) to be the ones to take your business to the next level! Until then, rock that brown, pink, and kick-a$$ look.

You are BEAUTUFUL!! Loving, strong, caring, no matter what the circumstance! I love you and that you took control of the situation!! You never cease to amaze!

7. Monica says:

I think you look great with no wig on at all! And the silver lining: it’s probably a lot cooler! 🙂

8. Auntie Minute says:

I love you in all three, but personally I think you could go as the real you and you sport it very well. Remember it will all come back and the surprise will be if its curly, different color, or straight….so something to look forward too. You are a brave young women and with Gods help and all our prayers you will be the same Meghan you remember before all of this.

9. Jill Raps says:

You are beautiful! Love you!

10. It’s hard accepting a change, but you look bodacious in the 3rd picture! I’m inspired by you and love reading your blog posts everyday 🙂

11. Josh says:

Meghan,

Not to be weird… but I think you look good with the wig. AND, you’re one of those ladies who actually looks good with really short hair. I know that might not be your preferred hair style, but it actually looks good. Kind of like Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta… or like Sinead O’Connor… or like G.I. Jane… or like Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables… you get the point.

For what it’s worth, I think you look good with short hair. (And definitely at least 10 times better than I would with really short hair.)

12. Josh says:

Also… I couldn’t help thinking of Donald Trump saying: “Hair, you’re fired.”
    (and then shaving his head)

13. Auntie Pat says:

I agree with Auntie Minute. You would be gorgeous no matter what style you decide to wear. You beauty is inside and out. I wish I could be there to give you hugs every day. With God’s help through all the prayers that are being said to support you, your hair will come back but your beauty remains.
    Love ya
    Auntie Pat

14. Gloria says:

Love seeing your big smile. You are beautiful. Who needs hair, have fun with wigs for awhile…

15. John Smith says:

My silver lining is you, the toughest cousin wrapped in a beautiful body.

16. June Rose says:

Meghan,
    That beautiful smile shines through… no matter what the hair style! I like to think of my bald head as my badge of courage. Also… it is a landmark on my journey…one step closer to the end, and one part of the journey that I got to “Do It My Way”… go stuff yourself cancer…..
    Love ya…

You’re right, June. It’s definitely a landmark. And it’s kind of nice to think we can tell cancer to stuff it. Who the hell invited it to the party anyway?! 🙂

17. Kristel says:

Welcome to being a girl with short hair.

You look like Annie Lennox or Roxette. 😉 Bad ass and pretty at the same time.

On tip for you, your scalp can get sun burnt. Wear a hat to prevent this. There are a lot of cute hats in style right now. I’m sure you can find some fun ones. I like the big dramatic 50’s movie star hats and the cuban hats.

Work it girl!

Kristel

Thanks for the tip! I have wigs. I have scarves. Now I need to stock up on cute hats. Who knew I’d have so much fun with this?

18. My dad asked me to do this for him on my 30th birthday, and I was too scared to do it, so I got pissed, picked a fight, and left.

You are absolutely gorgeous, and I am sure you hate it when people tell you are brave, especially total strangers, but it takes a hell of a brave person to share this into the world.

I hope you realize that the beauty on your face is just the lovely parts of you on the inside, shining out. Thank you for sharing.

19. Helen Opitz says:

You look really good . Can’t believe how positive you are staying and that’s great. My prayers are with you for a fast recovery. Love you. Auntie Punk.

Oh, don’t be fooled. I certainly have my moments where I’m less than positive. But I try to keep my chin up. I love you, too. ~Meghan

20. Mimi says:

Meghan, you rock, that is all.

You look fantastic with short hair and just like everyone else has said, that smile is still smiling through! I think I would most likely feel just like you did seeing it gone, but like you said, there isn’t much you can control so I’m happy to see that you have taken control of what can do!! I vote silver sparkle for Halloween!!

22. Rene says:

Not a lot of people can pull that off. YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!!
    And I like the wigs too 🙂

Regardless………..the smile is in every picture…….

24. Yvonne T. says:

Meghan, your smile makes me smile! 🙂 Love it!!

25. […] than just my hair stylist. She’s my friend. She proved that when she came to my house to shave my […]

26. […] come a long way in a year. Yesterday I had my first real, honest to God, on-purpose hair cut since shaving my head. I keep sneaking peeks in the mirror just to smile at myself. I took an obscene number of selfies […]