• 100 Days of Good Karma: Day 55 (Hair Discoveries)

I can totally pull this look off now.

I can totally pull this look off now.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Life with a shaved head is strange.  I keep catching glimpses of myself in the mirror and thinking, “Oh shit.  That’s me.”

Running has changed.

A breeze blowing across my scalp is maybe the coolest feeling ever.

And I like to believe that I’m more aerodynamic, and therefore faster, than two days ago.

After thirty minutes of blinking sweat out of my eyes, I realized how much sweat used to get trapped in my hair.

I’m thinking of stealing Olivia Newton John’s sweatband look before my next workout.  Who knew eighties fashion trends would produce anything with a practical use?

Oh, and showers have changed.

I overestimated on the shampoo.  By a lot.

And I just stared at the bottle of conditioner.

For the first time in my life I couldn’t think of a reason to use it.

Also: Short, wet hair sticks to everything.

I discovered wigs and Houston summers don’t mix.

I wore the brown wig when I dropped the kids off for school.

Wigs are hot and not in a sexy MILF kind of way.

More like hot in the way of wrapping your head in a small wool blanket, adding 90% humidity, then heating to a hundred degrees.

Also, I couldn’t stop playing with the damn thing.  I kept patting it to make sure it was in place.

Later in the afternoon I grabbed the mail key, but hesitated before walking out the front door to the mailbox.

I stood frozen at the front door, key in one hand, doorknob in the other, worry stabbing me in the stomach that someone might see me.

I almost walked into the bathroom and put the wig on.

But the delay annoyed me.  I was just checking the mail.  Why bother standing in front of a mirror, positioning the wig just right, just to check the mail?

And I decided:  No.

Just that one word, but it meant so many things.

No, I’m not wearing a wig to check the mail.

No, I’m not wearing a wig to drop the kids off.

No, I’m not hiding.

That walk out to the mailbox was almost as hard as looking into the mirror the first time after shaving my head.

But by doing so the wigs were downgraded from a necessity to an option.

Today’s silver lining:  This shaved head thing will definitely take some getting used to, but a little lipstick and some earrings are better than a wig any day.

My silver lining today was no hair on my legs. Of course Dad helped me shave my legs because I can’t do all of my left leg. He doesn’t mind, at least he says he doesn’t mind. Then I got to give him your book of blogs. That’s his favorite. He has bought a binder for all of them because, like me, pride comes out when we read them besides tears, etc. Lubba, lubba you, Mom

2. Kristel says:

I had to LOL at your shampoo comments because I only buy shampoo about once a year with my short hair. 😀

Short wet hair takes about 30 seconds to dry under a blow dryer. I love this about my short hair! Also steal some of Justin’s hair gel and mess around with your look. It’s short but trust me it can be styled different sometimes.

If you think about it, lots of people shave their heads on purpose. People who don’t know you aren’t going to bat an eyelash at your hair cut. It’s pretty normal these days. 🙂

Funny that you mention that. I went wig-less and scarf-less to the store. I was really nervous and had to force myself to get out of the car. You know, not a one person gave me a second look. I don’t know what I was so worried about. No one cared what my hair looked like. 🙂

3. Auntie Pat says:

Your beauty and positive attitude will get you through anything. I have learned so much from your blogs. Thanks. Love ya,
    Auntie Pat

4. June Rose says:

My first day back to work with my shaved head, I spent a long time working on different scarfs. Nothing felt comfortable. My sweet daughter said, “You can pull it off Mom. Just go with the bald look.” So I went for it. My co-workers were so wonderful. They all said they liked it, and i looked great. They even seemed disappointed when I started wearing a wig… So many people come out of the woodwork to offer kindness and support. It helps so much.

Yeah, I’ve tried scarves and wigs. Both feel weird (although my head gets cold at night). My friends said just go with the shaved-head look. I tried it yesterday when I went to the store. I was so nervous, but no one even looked at me twice. 🙂

5. Annette Foster says:

Lipstick and earrings! Always make for a better day. :). Xoxoxo

6. John Smith says:

I think I’ll try the lipstick and earrings thing too … You should always try something at least once right?

Trying to think of a smart comment on the MILF comment………got nothing….