• 100 Days of Good Karma: Day 57 (Smile!)

smile

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Justin and I took our kids and two of our nephews to a restaurant for lunch.

We had to wait a few minutes for a table.  The waiting area was right next to the bar where a handful of men and women were watching a football game.

My fourteen year old nephew, Triston, was explaining the rules of football to me (I’ve never understood the game) when I got the distinct feeling of being watched.

I looked over at the bar area in time to see a woman quickly turn away from me. She said something to the man with her and then laughed.

I watched her, not wanting to misjudge the moment.  I felt good about how I looked.  I’d left the wigs and scarves at home, feeling confident with a black t-shirt, a new pair of jeans and some pretty earrings.

I didn’t want to assume she was being ugly.  It was, after all, completely possible she was complimenting me.

But when she shot a few more looks my way, her eyes slid away from mine.  And when she looked me up and down then laughed to the man next to her… Well, it suggested that what she said was less than flattering.

Maybe I was wrong about her intentions, but I was stunned by her boldness.

If she was being complimentary, there was no need to keep staring.  Being a woman myself, I’m hyper-aware of how looking at someone for too long can make them uncomfortable and I’m conscientious enough to know that staring at someone, then laughing to the person next to you is going to make the person you’re looking at feel like shit.

In short, I got angry.

Angry for every person who has ever been made fun of by someone who mocks what they don’t understand.

And angry for myself because I did not appreciate being treated as a curiosity rather than a human being.

That this woman was smug enough to laugh at a stranger, however privately she thought she was doing it, pissed me off.

She looked at me again so I did the only thing I could do.

I smiled at her.

I chuckled when her eyes widened then jumped away.  She turned back to the bar, but before she did I thought I saw a shade of embarrassment on her face.

Silver Lining: When we were finally escorted back to our table I walked a little taller.

1. Susan says:

You took the high road. Very classy. Your outfit sounded stunning. I always wanted you to go into fashion design if you remember 🙂

2. Wendy says:

Bitch better be glad I wasn’t with you. I wouldn’t have taken the high road but I’m glad you did. You always look amazing.

3. Cindy says:

You are a much better person than I! I would have taken it for a moment or two, then I would have done something terribly obvious to make her completely aware that I knew she was making fun of me. You know, like boldly waving to her and then leaning over to Thomas and whispering something in his ear, anything, just to make him laugh!!

4. pwsquare says:

Good thing I wasn’t there – I am not as nice as you. I think I would have took her out – just kidding. You are gorgeous – period. She better ask somebody..

I think the smile was the most powerful reaction you could have given! Eat that Biatch!!!!

That lady was so lucky I was not there.

Silver Lining: She pissed off a writer and will be forever (or at least as long as this website exists) immortalized on the world wide web. 😉

7. Sara says:

I love how you handled it! And you look awesome!

My dear daughter, you know how I would have handled it! We probably would have been thrown out of the place and then she would have to explain to the judge why she was making fun of me. No one makes faces at my daughter and gets away with them. I do admit it, I am a bitch and proud of it!!!!!!!!! Love ya, Mom

9. Monica says:

Well, I’m in the same boat as most of the other responses. I would of gone up to her and asked “Excuse me, do I know you? You seem to be staring at me. I thought maybe you didn’t quite recognize me because of my shaved hair due to cancer.” That would of put her in her place! But kudos to you for being a better person! 🙂

I’m not quick enough on my feet to think of that. In writing, sure, but in the moment… Nope. I’ll try and remember that for the next time (hopefully there is no next time). 🙂

10. Flash says:

It is so unfortunate that people feel so low about themselves that to feel up, they have to bring others down. Just the fact you are out with family and looking wonderfully groovy I am sure, probably made her feel very insecure. See Megan you are living where most are just trying to survive.

Your nice 1/2 Italian cousin would have punched her in the throat. :). Xoxo

12. […] encountered the hurtful.  There was the stranger who laughed, though I’ll never know if it was because she thought I had cancer or if she just thought I […]