• 100 Days of Good Karma: Day 69 (Facebook Addiction)

nonfb

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Hi.  My name is Meghan and I’m addicted to Facebook.

It started out innocently enough.

I signed up for Facebook on my computer at home and found lots of people I knew.  I lurked around old high school classmate’s pages just to see what they were up to.

I collected people and called them Friends.

I posted all the time.  Sometimes about nothing at all.

And then came the Facebook app for my phone.

This was great.

My phone already went with me everywhere.  Now I could instantly respond to any of my Friends’ posts.

I even gave Facebook it’s own sound alert and my heart leapt with joy to hear that little *pop*.

I couldn’t stop.

Facebook was the first app I pulled up each and every time I looked at my phone.

I checked Facebook first thing in the morning.  It was the last thing I checked at night.  I looked at it during commercial breaks or pauses in conversation.

I looked at it when my kids weren’t talking to me.  And, I’m ashamed to admit, sometimes when they were.

That I was trolling Facebook while I could have been spending time with my kids should have been a red flag.

But I ignored the warning signs.

I became frustrated when no New Stories appeared at the top of my News Feed.

I reminded myself I just looked at Facebook five minutes ago and maybe nothing worth mentioning happened in that time.

But it didn’t matter.

I craved New Stories like the paparazzi crave pictures of starlets tripping on the red carpet.

I had a vague sense that I was missing something during all those moments I spent thumb-scrolling through Facebook.

Dissatisfaction crept in and I wondered how I used to fill life’s little down moments.

I tried to quit once.  I disabled Facebook only to go back two weeks later.

I liked staying connected to friends (not just Friends) and family, but I didn’t like the compulsory nature of my addiction.

So I tried another tactic:  I uninstalled Facebook from my phone.

Craziness, I know.

But it worked.

If I really want to check Facebook, I can turn on my computer and look.

A vague anxiety I hadn’t realized I’d been carrying around abated.

I found uninterrupted time to read again.  To hang out with my kids and watch them perform magic shows.

I slowly awakened to the idea that I didn’t need Facebook to fill each and every moment.

If I find myself standing in a long, boring line I still pull out my phone, but now I read a book.

Today’s silver lining:  Taking breaks from technology.

Facebook is great, but sometimes it’s nice to unplug.

Ha! I’ve never put fb on my phone and I’ve often wondered if I’m missing out because of it. Thank you for your post. I will NOT install it. 🙂

2. Rene says:

Hi Meghan. 🙂 I’m Rene and I too am a FB addict. OMG who would have thought that it was going to be addictive? It is hard to make the choice to put it away but it’s so nice to spend time without it. 🙂

I have to admit, if my computer worked all the time, I too, would be on facebook all the time. I find something else to look at and then it might go days and I’m not on facebook. If when I talk to people on the phone and then ask me if I’m been on line I tell them I’ve been busy but I’ll go on it after we fiinish talking. I really enjoy seeing my family pictures though. Well, better get dressed so Dad and I can go to town. Enjoy your day of whatever you do. Love you lots, Mom

Facebook consumed way too much time while it was on my phone. It’s more manageable if I restrict Facebook time to the computer.

Tyler did some upgrade on my phone and my Facebook Ap didn’t work anymore (aka, I had to type in the password again and I’m too lazy). I’ve left it off for a while. Why do I need to check Facebook on my phone? I barely answer my text messages half of the time.

Glad I’m not the only one that’s found freedom from Facebook. Total time suck.

:)…..love the silver lining.

6. Chrystal says:

It is an addiction! I’ve never really felt like I’ve been addicted to anything. Well, unless you count that brief and wonderful moment in my life where I was constantly jonesing for dark chocolate covered almonds. But that’s about the only addiction I recognize having. I nipped that in the bud after an awesome e-mail from you (do you remember that?)! Now I enjoy it in moderation. (Full disclosure: I have a half eaten jar in my desk drawer right now, but before this one it was months before I bought any.)

Back to the point, Facebook & I have a love/hate relationship. I was one of the last few to join the Facebook world, after my really ‘good’ friend threatened to open an account in my name & not give me the password. I love her dearly, but my mind immediately filled with horrifying posts made by her & seen by all my loved ones. So I quickly created an account and said, ‘There! Are you happy now!” She seemed satisfied, but only briefly. Apparently, I didn’t post enough. Every picture we took, every funny thing we said, every event we held, was quickly followed with her exclaiming to the world that she tagged me on Facebook, or that I needed to post and tag her on Facebook. Oy! it was funny at first, but then it became a habit for me to automatically post a status, so she wouldn’t have to tell me. As if people really care that I checked in to The Cheesecake Factory, or that I just bought more shoes (actually, i think this is quite humorous to many of my Facebook ‘friends’), or that my cute kiddos did another cute thing.

I enjoy keeping up with friends and family on Facebook, for the most part. But I loathe the fact that I’m addicted to it. I too check it first thing in the morning. I drink my spark or my coffee & get caught up on what posted between the hours of 10pm & 5:30am. Which is not much. And then at night when i go to bed, I check it again, because surely something absolutely amazing happened, that I would be the only one that didn’t know about, since the last time i checked it. And of course, I check it on the way to the bathroom, while i’m waiting for a large file to load, on my way to meetings, while i’m in the elevator, sitting at the red light, pretty much all the time. I can’t believe i’ve become that person! I used to be so observant & I would quite literally stop to smell the roses. But lately my addiction has gotten so bad that i’m afraid I will have a permanent droop to my face from looking down at my phone.

Admitting is the first step, right? Well, this is my long-winded way of admitting I have a problem. So it sounds like a good next step is to take the app off my phone. Can I have a party for that? Or maybe a happy hour? I might need some liquid courage to actually do this.

*send help*