• Another 100 Days of Good Karma: Day 133 (Chemo Round 14: Another One Down)


    Makeup is becoming more important. Especially the eyebrow pencil. My eyebrows are almost gone. I gave up on mascara a while back. There are gaps in my eyelashes and it would just look funny if I put it on.  Now I just wear eye shadow and eyeliner.

    Friday, November 21, 2014

    Run/ Walk/ Bike/ Elliptical (Today:  3.00 miles;  Running Total: 53.55 miles)

    Day 133 of *Another* 100 Days of Good Karma.

    I woke up early to run in the morning.  It felt great to move, and I was brimming over with nervous energy, probably because I knew in a few hours all of that would change.

    My mother-in-law, Debbie, and aunt-in-law, Kathy, came up to the house early in the morning.

    Debbie went with me to the appointment while Kathy stayed at the house and cleaned/cooked.  She even made me some homemade laundry soap! I’m so excited to try making this on my own although it’ll be a while.  The batch she made is supposed to last six months!

    At the appointment I met with my oncologist’s nurse first.  She asked how I was handling fatigue and mentioned that exercising helps.  I just nodded and smiled.

    Debbie shot me a look that said, “Um, you already knew that.”

    The nurse left and my oncologist’s physician’s assistant came in.

    He asked me about the fainting episode and the back pain I experienced after the last round of chemo and Neulasta injection.  He told me stretching might help before the back pain gets too debilitating.

    Debbie spoke up.  She looked at me and said, “How many miles did you run this morning?”


    His eyes got wide and he laughed.  “Oh.  Well I guess I don’t have to lecture you on exercise then.”

    I shook my head. “Nope.”

    He mentioned that my oncologist might do some extra fluids after the Neulasta injection on Monday, but she knew more about the plan specifics.

    Debbie chuckled when he left the room.  “I guess they don’t know what to do with you, do they?”

    “I don’t think they encounter many patients who want to run through chemo.”

    My oncologist came in and we talked some more about the reactions I had last time.

    She said she knew I was drinking plenty of water (I have a huge jug that goes everywhere with me) and that I was very active and I was managing the fatigue well in that regard.  To combat the muscle pain she said we could do some extra fluids when I came in Monday for the Neulasta injection.

    This goes everywhere with me.

    This 64 oz. jug goes everywhere with me.

    She performed a breast exam.  “It’s getting hard to feel an exact size to the tumors. The edges are less defined which is good.”

    The blood work said I was approved for Chemotherapy.

    The nurse hooked me up to the IV’s and away we went.

    She administered three antinausea drugs, then moved on to the three chemotherapy drugs.

    Debbie sat in a chair in the corner and browsed her iPad.  She said I fell asleep after they gave me the third round of antinausea drugs (Lorazepam is known to control nausea, but it also makes you sleepy).  Evidently my nurse came in several times to change bags, but I slept through it.

    I woke up to the sound of a machine beeping just before they finished administering the Red Dragon.  The infusion machines beep to alert the nurses if there is air in the line or if a bag has run out of fluids.

    The Red Dragon.

    The Red Dragon.

    After chemo I went home and ate before going to bed for another two hours.  I laid around the rest of the night, already missing the energy I felt in the morning.


    Today’s silver lining:  Another one down. 

    Two more to go.  Next round set for December 12th.

    What’s your silver lining today?  I love comments!

    Don’t want to leave a comment, but have something you want to share?  Send me an email at gettingthewordswrong(at)gmail(dot)com.


    Post Tagged with

4 Responsesso far.

  1. marriannad says:

    How much water do you drink in a day? When I drink that much water, the 64 oz jar, I don’t have much time to relax because I’m getting my exercise going back and forth to the porcelain altar. I admire your willingness to do all the exercise you do on a daily basis, when the chemo isn’t debilitating. Good for you. Cheering you forward from Flagstaff, AZ.

    • Meghan says:

      I was told hydration was super important because chemo dries you out so bad, so I try for 64 oz or more a day. It took some time to get used to drinking that much water, but now that I’m used to it I don’t run to the bathroom nearly as much. Thank you for the cheers!

  2. Mom says:

    Wish I could have half the energy you have with your chemo! Dad is getting very upset with doctors because like he says, I’m still not walking and I’m in pain. I am so proud of you. I’m so glad you have Daddy’s fitness thing in your head. You can do this all the way. You stubborn Irishman you! Love you lots! Mom

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.