• Another 100 Days of Good Karma: Day 147 (Pinterest Fail)

pinterestfail

Friday, December 5, 2014

Run/ Walk/ Bike/ Elliptical (Today:  3.00 miles;  Running Total: 67.68 miles)

Day 147 of *Another* 100 Days of Good Karma.

***WARNING:  Christmas spoiler alert.***

I had the grand idea of making home made Christmas presents this year.  I thought it would be a personal touch to a holiday that has turned very commercial.

A friend of mine recently talked me into signing up for Pinterest so I looked there for some home made gift ideas.

In the plethora of DIY gifts on Pinterest I stumbled on a post for home made bath crayons.

Well that would be awesome, I thought.  I have small nieces and nephews.  They’d love some bath crayons!

Pinterest has a way of perfectly spinning DIY stuff.

I saw three simple ingredients:  a bar of soap, food coloring and warm water.

I saw a simple process:  grate the soap, add water and color, scoop the soap, shape it into a crayon, let it dry.

And I saw the final selling point–this picture:

pinterestbathcrayon

Oh, I thought smugly, I can so do this.

What’s the saying?

Oh yes.

Pride comes before the fall.

Turns out it also comes before epic Pinterest failures.

I told the kids we were going to make bath crayons.  Amid cheers and praise of being the best mom ever, I set up shop in my kitchen.

I set out the soap, the food coloring and the water.  I grated the soap with a gadget like this, but I imagine you could use a cheese grater, too.

soapgrater

I set out a bowl for everyone and let them add the food coloring to the soap shavings while I mixed in the water.

When the kids deemed the soap shavings just the right shade they scooped up handfuls of the resulting goop.

“Eeewww!!!”  Connor made a face and shook the soap off his fingers.

“Mommy, this is guh-ross!”  Hannah held her hand up, the soap shavings dripping chunkily back into the bowl.

“Oh it’s not that bad, guys,” I said.  To prove my point I stuck my hand into my own bowl.

And gagged.

We’re not talking Play-Doh here, folks.

Imagine a handful of runny, and oddly lumpy, scrambled eggs in your palm.  Then imagine trying to mold it into a tube like shape.  That might get you close.

Needless to say, my bath crayons turned out looking more like solidified baby diarrhea than the Pinterest image.

mybathcrayon

mybathcrayon2

Today’s silver lining:  They smell good!

I think I’m still going to give them out for Christmas anyway.  Maybe make some brown ones, too.  You know… to complete the poop theme.

People… beware of Pinterest.

It lies.

Don’t want to leave a comment, but have something you want to share?  Send me an email at gettingthewordswrong(at)gmail(dot)com.

1. Linda says:

My silver lining: You made me laugh! I am not artsy-craftsy at all. A friend and I spend a lot of time at craft shows looking at items and saying, “Ooooh, that’s cute. I could make that.” Knowing, of course, that we wouldn’t. . . . .and couldn’t. . . . .(either of us).

That’s the thing about Pinterest… it makes you believe you CAN do it. I have the utmost respect for crafty people. As for myself, I think I’ll just stick with a pen and paper.

2. Michale Bauer says:

The Pinterest finished product picture looked too good to be true! One year we made homemade Christmas ornaments using applesauce and cinnamon. Some were sent to a relative who turned out to be allergic to cinnamon! Oh well … we tried to be creative. They smell really good and are easy to make. I hope to one day make them with my granddaughter!

If you want the applesauce/cinnamon recipe for ornaments, just let me know.

Love your photos Meghan!

3. This made me laugh so hard, and I love adding brown for the whole poop event!!

So, so funny!! LMBO!! Crafts and I have NEVER gotten along! I feel your pain! Love the poop idea!!! What’s the game you play at Debbie’s at Christmas? That would make a good gift!!!!!

5. marriannad says:

Well, looking at the finished products, I see the eeewww! factor. Sounded like a good idea at the time, right? I am an artsy/craftsy person and I seldom make things for gifts anymore. I remember knitting a sweater for my father-in-law quite a few years ago. I followed the pattern exactly. Only problem was/is that I never knit to gauge even though the instructions suggest creating a swatch to measure the gauge. Well, the sweater was HUGE and I don’t remember if he ever wore it. My best homemade Christmas gifts were trays of cookies or banana nut bread. Oh, and that was before all the gluten allergies and nut allergies. I know your heart was in the right place. Keep at it and I know Pinterest will have better DIY projects, maybe.

Marrianna from Flagstaff, AZ.

6. Melissa says:

Thats hilarious… I have had many pinterest fails, but none that I could describe as baby diarrhea. I would add this to the pinterst page of fails. I love the idea of doing some brown crayons as well. everybody loves poop humor! well I do at least

7. Lori Carreon says:

Cracking up!! I am definitely not a DIY’er either!

8. amy p says:

This is hilarious. Seriously, one of the very best Pinterest Fails on the planet. Go YOU!

9. […] have had epic Pinterest fails and epic dog bathing fails. Today’s blog post combines the […]